Thursday, March 8, 2012

i love you vegetables!!


One of the many benefits of living in Spain is the costliness of fresh fruits and veggies. This bundle of mushrooms, asparagus, tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, broccoli, zucchini, and leeks was crazy cheap from our favorite 'fruteria' below our apartment. Luckily, our entire family has a deep love for veggies, even our four-year-old daughter, believe it or not. Since January first we have been trying and succeeding in changing our diet. Justin and I have each lost almost 20 pounds! It's really not fair because he has lost his weight by only changing his eating habits, whereas I have taken up running. I am very proud of him and myself, and I really hope we keep at it. We also bought a bike to save money, time, and for exercise. Last week was our first 24/7 prayer week with our team, and I almost had to laugh as I thought of how different our life has become. Several mornings I found myself riding our bike down one of the main streets in Valladolid, at 5:30 am! I walk or ride the bike every day to class too. It's funny, I haven't been in a car for over nine months!!! I love the energy I have from eating better and exercising. Also, since both my parents had heart surgery in the last two years, I am thinking more and more about my future and my body. Exercising and saying no to certain foods can be hard, but it's so worth it. It is worth it for God, for my spouse, for my kids, and for myself. My sister has recently started a blog, and she has written a bit about this too. Check out the link if you are interested: http://www.15of31.com/2012/03/what-are-you-made-of.html?spref=fb

1 comment:

  1. I am so proud of you for what you have accomplished. DEFINITELY with our family history from your dad and me and also both of your grandfathers, eating healthy and staying fit is vitally important. It will be fun to share food ideas between all of us with Karen's blog, your blog, Sarah's medical training and my renewed zeal for eating healthy. It is worth it for sure!!!

    ReplyDelete