People back home often ask me what I miss about the States. Spaniards ask which I like more and also if I miss the States. As I was walking to our mall the other day I started thinking about things I loved about Spain and things I missed about the States and just the differences between the two. Even though things have been truly challenging here, there are wonderful parts to being in Spain. Valladolid has about 500,000 people crammed in a two-mile by five-mile space, so it definitely has a city feel. People walk and use public transportation often, and apartments are stacked one on top of the other;however, with the city feel comes a small-town feel. As we walk the 'paseo' or streets here we always run into people we know. We see familiar faces everywhere we go, which can be so comforting at times. I also love not having a car. Even though it would be nice on late rainy nights when the bus has stopped running and we have two kids and a 45 minute walk ahead, I reallly enjoy not having a car. I know Justin loves it because he doesn't have a car that needs fixed all the time. ;) Walking is obvisouly good for our health, but sometimes it can be so enjoyable to walk alone and clear my mind. The people here are 'genial' or great. Everyone we've met has been so kind and generous to us. There is also such a relaxed feeling in Valladolid, besides when an old person is behind you trying to get off the bus...look out! Seriously though, people take time to enjoy each other by stopping often at restaurants for coffee and conversation. The longer we are here, the more I like the food. At first, with the language obstacle, it was difficult to find food I liked. I didn't know what anything was, so I was always ordering 'hamberguesas'. As I have tried more things, I am finding plenty of foods I like...especially the Spanish Tortilla (it's more like a potato breakfast casserole). Since we're on the subject of food...besides people, that is what I miss most about the states. I loved the variety of food we had in Springfield...Korean, Indian, Mexican, American, Vietnamese, Italian...oh what I'd give for mushroom ravioli and a blackberry mint tea from Macaroni Grill. Also, in the States there are free refills, even free ice cold water doesn't exist in Spain. I hate paying three dollars for a small bottle of coke! I obviously miss my family and friends, and it is hard to find the words to express it. We definitly took for granted the like-mindedness and comfort of our friends in the States. We also miss inviting people in our home and going into others' homes. We do have our team over often, which is wonderful, but in Spain it is not normal to invite new friends into your home. Many Spaniards view homes as one's private intimate space. Last night we actually went into a Spaniard's home for the first time. They were very hospitable and kind, but anytime we suggest to a Spaniard to have them in our home, they usually look uncomfortable and suggest we go to a cafe'. The longer I'm here, the more I love about Spain, but I also find I miss certain things more. Even though it's different, I'm adjusting to life without a car, Taco Bell, Starbucks, or the sound of English on the streets!
No comments:
Post a Comment