Monday, January 16, 2012

another year of firsts...already


As you know, last year was a year of firsts. Probably the most firsts we've had as a family in our life. First time moving to another country. First time putting our daughter in school. First time employed by the same company as my husband. First time having a baby in another country. First birthday, Thanksgiving, Christmas, & New Year away from home. Lots of firsts in 2011. This year has already proven to be a year of firsts for me. A few of you may know that I have started exercising. On New Year's Day I was asking my team mate Brian, who used to be a personal trainer, for some work-out tips. Somehow the conversation ended with our team deciding to take on a 'biggest loser' challenge to see who could lose the most weight in three months. That night, we went home and cooked all the junk-food that was in our house...and ate it :) The days of truffles, pastries, multiple cups of cafe' con leche, bread with most meals, cheese, chorizo, and other spanish sausages are gone. We've been eating tons of veggies, fruits, fish, shrimp, and chicken. Along with the veggies, I've started running. For some of you, this may seem like no big deal, but for those of you who know me,well...you know me. I've never exercised regularly in my life. In fact, the last pair of tennis shoes I owned I found in the locker room in 7th grade! That was like 14 years ago! I'm proud to say, another first, I'm now the owner of some sweet pink Adidas running shoes. (see photo above) Now, don't get all excited because I only go two miles, and I alternate between walking and running. I have to confess though, the last couple times, I've actually enjoyed running! I know, I can't believe those words ever went through my mind let alone came out of my mouth. Each time it gets easier. Each time I can run farther, and each time I feel great for doing it. It's funny how amazing I feel after I run, but before I do it, nothing in me has a desire to get those pink shoes on and go outside in the 30 degree weather to...run. Today while I was running, I couldn't help but think how exercise is like prayer. Every time after I pray, I'm so glad I did. The times in my life when my prayer life has been most consistent have been the spiritual heights and the times I've been closest to God. Now, the thing with prayer is that it is hard work. You don't get credit for it. You don't get any sort of reward or praise, in fact, it takes up time, energy, and can strain you emotionally. Something in me seems to fight when I set out to pray; however, when I do, I experience some of the most amazing rewarding moments. It makes my spirit feel so refreshed. Like exercise, the more you pray, the easier it gets, and the more benefits you experience. The benefit of seeing God work in the lives around you. The benefit of knowing God on a more intimate level. The benefit of a growing faith as He proves Himself again and again. The benefit of an amazing hope as He becomes more real every day, and the benefit of dying to your own desires and giving in to what He has for you. Before I run, I have to die to myself who wants to sit inside in the warm house with a cup of tea or hot chocolate, but when I push through and run, all the effort is worth it.

1 comment:

  1. Amy,

    I'm soooo proud of you! Running is so hard and yet so good for you. I'm glad you are enjoying it and I completely understand your feelings. I would dread it every time and then after, I felt like I had truly accomplished something! It is very encouraging to see your own progress and go farther each time. I definitely see the correlation to prayer. I always relate my diet and exercise to my walk with God. I feel so much better when I diet and exercise. I can see all the benefits of it and I know that it works. It's work though and there are many times when I just want to throw in the towel and eat some doughnuts! I have to choose everyday to get in the game and have the right mindset. If I go throughout the day without a game plan and a focus, I will loose the battle everytime. It's just like my walk with God. I feel so much better when I am close to Him. Everything is put into perspective and I can see the benefits of it. It's hard work and doesn't come naturally. Just like dieting and exercise, I have to choose to walk in the Spirit everyday. I have to get in the game and get my focus where it should be. If I just wake up and go about my day, I'm going to do what comes naturally which is to live in my flesh. It's a choice I have to make everyday and often many times throughout the day. I'm proud to say that I kept my vow to God. I ate right and exercised everyday for a month! I'm down 12 or 14 pounds depending which scale I use at the gym. I've made my new vow to God for another month and I plan to keep doing every month until I'm healthy and hot! JK about the hot part! I really am so proud of you for getting active. Keep up the good and hard work physically and spiritually! I can't wait to see you sometime this summer. Hopefully I'll be missing a roll or two! I tried to call you but it said the blah blah blah customer is blah blah blah. Anyhew, call me when you get a chance! Love ya, Janelle

    ReplyDelete