Thursday, February 9, 2012

feeling far away

Wow. This week I am experiencing a new kind of element to living overseas. I got an email early this week from my sister telling me to call her no matter what the time. Immediately, I wondered if something was wrong. As soon as I got it, I called. I found out that my mom had gone to urgent care for a sinus infection, told the doctor about some pain in her side, and ended up at the hospital with the diagnosis of a possible heart-attack. After an ultrasound and an angiogram, the results were not the best. She has several blockages, and they are going to do bypass surgery on Friday. Because of some previous conditions, their is extra concern and precautions being taken for of the surgery. She seems to be doing well, but is obviously scared. Her words were, "anyone who says they aren't scared would be lying."
Right now, I am definitely feeling far away. I wish I could be there to encourage her, make her laugh, and just hug her before she goes through those doors for this surgery. Even though it is considered routine, it is extensive. I feel helpless and just plan far away. Since I'd lived in the same state as most of my family my whole life, this is brand new territory. I can feel my heart getting heavier for my mom as her surgery approaches. I trust that she will be ok, and I know God is there with her always even if I cannot be, but it still sucks. I really just wish I could be there for her. She has always been and still is SO amazing. Anytime my siblings or I have ever needed help, she is the first to offer. I know if I were in the hospital, she would be right there with me, and I wish right now, I could give that to her.
Please pray for God to steady her heart, physically and spiritually! Pray for her to have full confidence that she is in the hand of the One who also holds the universe. Pray for strength for my brother, sister, and grandma who live in Springfield and are spending time at the hospital and helping out. Pray for me and my other sister, who lives in The Philipines, as we both wish so badly we could be there with them. Pray for the doctors and nurses to have wisdom and precision.
This is really a difficult time all around for my family. As I continue in Spain with my own family, language, and work, my mind is on my mom. I'm asking God to help me have the strength I need personally to do what I need to do here. Thank you SO much for taking time to read this, and please, even if it's before you leave this page, pray!

3 comments:

  1. Whether you want to admit it our not, this is suffering for the gospels sake...Yeah I know I can't believe it is coming out of my mouth, but this is suffering. I love you and hope to help my bride that is closer than anything to my heart

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy, I'm so sorry that your family is having to deal with this. Praise God, though, that she went to Urgent Care and they found it before anything tremendously major happened! Doug and I will be praying for all of you...peace that surpasses all understanding, and for the Spirit to be in control of every movement and decision made tomorrow. ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To my dear, precious Amykins, How I was blessed by reading this blog today and by the telephone conversations we were able to have from the hospital and especially the skpe call immediately prior to my "going through those doors" into surgery. I know how hard it is to be away .... though I am not away from home, I am away from you and your sister and your families. I wanted so be there when you had Silas, but could not. I wanted to so be in the Philippines when Sarah went through the recent earthquake, but I could not. That is why I believe the two most important things we must focus on at times like these are that 1. Praise God that while we can't be everywhere, HE IS!!! He comforts the heart and provides the peace in all times. (I never felt His presence more than when I passed through those doors into that surgery room). 2. The Bible is clear that when we follow Him there will be times we must leave our families to serve as He wills. His contant abiding love and peace is there to sustain us through those times that He requires this of us. We will have eternity together and that is what matters most ... and becuase of your willingess to serve in Spain, we will have Spainards there to worship around the throne with us. Thank you for your words in your blog. I love you more than life itself!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mom

      Delete